“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” Winston Churchill

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Why I like Sarah Palin

re: Emily's comment "I don't know a ton about Palin but I'd love you to post a blog about why you think a woman with limited gov't experience, young children at home, and a less than stellar academic background would make a good president or V.P. There are some things I really like about her but I'd love to hear your thoughts."

All the talking points you have quoted can be turned into positives as far as I am concerned: 1) Limited government experience; the experience she does have is good -- mayor & governor, executive positions requiring ability to make decisions. The non-experience in Washington is a good thing. Many who have gone to Washington have been corrupted by the power and blindfolded by the inside-the-beltway mentality, losing touch with us citizens. Besides, versus Obama (2 years Senator, state legislator and community organizer) or Biden (many years of making the wrong decisions in Washington), her experience is outstanding. 2) Having young children at home; when did having a family become a negative in American politics? Abraham Lincoln had young children at home. Or is the question raised because she is a woman with young children at home? Are Barack's two young girls a problem? I would be embarrassed to be a women and raise this issue. 3) Academics; Does George Bush's Ivy League MBA impress you? In many cases an impressive academic record is simply a sign of radical indoctrination, as in the case of the Democratic nominee.

Frankly, the things that impress me most about Sarah Palin are not her so-called "Maverick" qualities, but her solid, conservative life and positions. I am pleased with her choices for life and liberty. I feel good that she has skepticism about man-caused global warming. I know that she supports a child's right to be born, even if not perfect. I think she is more likely to support letting keep what we have earned rather than taking from some groups to give to others.

I heard a prophet today. He talked about protecting our way of life by supporting Arizona's marriage amendment. Then he told a story about his family which I took as a parable. He was talking about listening to the Spirit.

A family member came to him for advise. A man had offered to buy the family farm. He was to pay with a cashiers' check. Everything on its face appeared to be on the up and up. But the family member didn't "feel" right about it. What should he do. The prophet told him to ask the man for references. He told his kinsman that if there was something wrong the man would get angry if he was asked for references. Sure enough, the meeting was held, the cashiers' check was offered in exchange for the land, and the man was asked for references. The man responded with anger over being asked. The kinsman canceled the transaction.

I think we have a candidate before us making us an offer of prosperity for everyone. All we have to give up is our way of life; our right to keep what we have earned, courts that will enforce the laws rather than be empathetic to groups, security in the face of evil forces (we have to believe that terrorists and radicals will respond to smooth talk while we reduce our defense capability), and even the protection of a constitution that was written to preserve our freedoms. Our other choice is not for a white knight who will lead us in pure, conservative principals, but instead a man who, at least, has courageously fought for his country, has supported the right to life whenever he has had a chance to vote for it, and talks about cutting the cost of government. And one other thing -- he does not get angry when we ask about his references. He does not try to hide who he really is.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks Daddy-O!

Klin said...

Well said father of two great ladies and handsome son- that I know about anyway.

I love Sarah because she is a mom and doing politics. I did the same thing when I had 4 young children. Sure Provo Neighborhood Chair and Area Rep is small town compared to running for President, but it gives me a taste of what can be done and I know Sarah can do this job and be a mom.

Emily said...

1) I totally agree
2) Thanks for trying to embarrass me, see my response on my blog at: http://emily-in-wonderland.blogspot.com/2008/11/dad-i-dont-embarrass-that-easily.html
3) No, I am not impressed by W.'s C average at Yale or his average scores at Harvard Business School, etc.

Emily said...

And one more comment: McCain gets angry all the time, he is an angry man.