“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” Winston Churchill

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Do it for the Chuldrun

As Clinton's surgeon general used to say, "We're doing it for the children." Some of my kids want me to continue blogging. Do we change the name? I don't think so. I'm still the buddha, and I still support the ideals that Mitt has come to stand for. (for which Mitt has come to stand) Or as Winston Churchill once said, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." I hereby call for any commenters on this blog to forthwith present their favorite grammatical rule. Comments may be in one's own favorite language, but must be accompanied by English translation.

6 comments:

Robin said...

That specific rule is dear to my heart, since I can remember often being told, "Not, where is it AT!" or "Not where are you going TO!"
However now that I have an Idahoan gramatically challenged husband I especially hate hearing, I seen, I done and the like. His mom is especially guilty of these phrases.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

A student in my English class said today:

"I ain't gots none."

I think I died.

Anonymous said...

"..is are children learning?"
"Ya fool me you can't get fooled again."
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3088605151190792370

I will be the first to admit that English and grammar are not my strong points. Math is "worser" ha, but I have comfort in knowing that if Bush can get by with his sub par English and be a commander in chief, all is not lost for me. I know that's not saying much for the commitment in America to teach it's citizens proper English, it's actually sad. I admire anyone who emphasizes articulating themselves with proper English. Was that a run on or fragmented sentence? Don' know!

brimstan said...

Count on Michelle to bring in her favorite President. Great comment. I am always trying to get my kids to improve their spelling and their clarity.

Emily said...

I always thought my grammar was pretty good until I tried teaching grammar; tough stuff! In addition to ending a sentence with a preposition (an annoyance I learned from Mom, of course), I have many others, including tacking on "wise" to the end of a word, which makes it no longer a proper word. I also get irritated by people who say "irregardless", etc. And though improper spelling annoys me, I am not actually the best speller, though I have improved.

brimstan said...

Thanks Emily,
This topic seems to have brang out some great comments. We all knows some terrible language and unless we work on it, it ain't going to get better.
That is one thing I enjoy about blogging, it gives one a chance to express ones' thoughts in writing and hopefully trying to clarify ones' thinking.
Dad