“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” Winston Churchill

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Sergeant Nibley, PhD


"Memories of an unlikely Screaming Eagle"

My wife presented me with a fascinating book for Christmas. For anyone interested in WWII, especially those familiar with Hugh Nibley, this is a highly interesting read. Who would have known that Professor Nibley road a Jeep onto Utah Beach on D-Day, flew in on a glider in Operation Market-Garden (A Bridge too Far), reported to his commanding officers the probability of the German attack at the Battle of the Bulge, and returned to the same area of Germany where he had served his mission just years earlier during the war's wrap-up.

A thought-provoking memoir of war, Nibley's son Alex admits to confusion and many contraditions about war. He concludes with this quote from his father, "There I was in the middle of a battle, and I was completely happy. It came to me very strongly: I shouldn't be happy in this circumstance! But it's not what happens to you that matters. It's not what becomes of you, it's what you become that's important." Amen.

No comments: