“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” Winston Churchill

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Florida Debate

Mitt lobs Rudy a softball question on China. He has asked him a question to make Rudy look good and he has asked a good enough question so that he also looks good. McCain follows by throwing an alley-opp to Huckabee on his favorite subject, i.e. The Fair Tax. It looks like Mitt is wanting to pull Rudy up to 2nd place by taking away votes from McCain. McCain's response is to try to send votes away from Romney to Huck. Ron Paul muddies McCain by asking him an economic question. Huck goes after Mitt on the 2nd Amendment. Mitt comes across as a reasonable conservative on gun control. Rudy asks Mitt about catastrophic insurance, mentions that McCain opposes catastrophic insurance. Mitt supports a "reasonable" catastrophic national insurance program. Wants states in "high-risk" areas to be able to bundle risk. Mitt uses question to bring up his health care program. Russert questions Rudy on Global warming. Rudy has good, conservative response of incentives for new industries, also recommends a national project equal to Space program. McCain reveals support for "cap and trade" carbon credits. "Climate change is real", he says.
It looks like Gov. Romney has seen that his "compare and contrast" approach has been twisted by opponents and commentators into "negative" campaigning and has taken a very positive approach to this debate. I think it is a great move.
My mom thinks McCain is a name-dropper. He does seem to drop well-known names with each question. McCain's mom said the Republicans will have to "plug their noses" and support her son.
Mitt does a great job asking questions about the amount of money he has donated to his own campaign and about his religion.
Ron Paul is the only one who can really tell it like it is about Social Security. Of course is political suicide, but it is true.
Huckabee uses his invocation of the Fair tax to deflect any serious economic questions.
Romney refuses to be suckered into a blind following of the Reagan icon to accept raising taxes. He instead lays out a reasonable program to save Social Security.
Rudy gets a slam dunk question about the NYT editorial.
Mitt gets a chance to defend the "flip-flop" charge by citing his record.
McCain even makes the angry charge appear unwarranted.
Huckabee defends the "religion" charge.
Paul promises to not leave the Republican party.
Conclusion: Rudy looked good. Romney looked better. McCain and Huckabee looked like secondary candidates. The Huck is funny. McCain ends with more name-dropping and then a tribute to Rudy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul is on a mission, kamakazi style! I agree he's put himself in political ruin. I love him for it. Such a diverse group to be running this time around. One might be desieved into thinking that we have some good choices. With my only desired "cheif" going down in a self inflicted flame of truth, my hopes for the upheavel of US government dark ages also fall. Your posts are really good Stan! Nice highlight of Florida unfolding. I like how it was being inside the observers mind yet, a subtle flare of pro-ball annoncing/critic. Very interesting to read, especially since I was out all day and didn't get any info on Florida. Keep it up. xoxo

Ty said...

hi stan.
my name is ty and i am lauren's brother. I also have a blog and although i mostly talk about music i sometimes throw in a political post. my candidate, fred thompson, unfortunately fell out of the race. I thought he would have made a fine president. Romney was my second choice but now i guess he is my first. I feel that both Huckabee and McCain are much to moderate to run on a republican ticket an i believe if either elected they would cause great harm to the conservative values of the republican party that reagan built. I believe Romney can do a good job as president. The recession scare is being blown way out of proportion in my opinion but Romney is the most capable of leading our economy. despite what the media is saying about him i believe he is very electable and is gaining momentum--even with the latest McCain attacks. Go Mitt.

Check out my blog:
www.comehereforgoodtymes.blogspot.com

Busy Bee Lauren said...

When I was a senior in high school I did 10 minute presentation in my AP Government class informing the class that McCain would make a great President in 2008. Over these two years I have completely changed my mind. I like what his mother said, "plug their noses..." except, I think she is a little foolish. I pretty much would never vote for someone if I had to "plug my nose". FOOLISH!